Please help me rescue data from my 1TB WD external hard drive (My Book for Mac). The HDD is mainly used for backing up my important files (pictures, movies, music, and working documents) on my Macintosh HD. But now it just gets accidentally initialized clean by mistake. Is there any way to recover the data? Any free Mac applications can do the job and perform formatted recovery from an external hard disk? My Mac is running with OS X 10.7 Lion. Thanks in advance.
Don’t worry. Even if you have intentionally formatted your WD hard drive, your lost files are still there on the disk. They are not necessarily lost and can be recovered in most cases. Why? Because a format option (except a low-level format) won’t permanently get rid of the data immediately, instead the space (your files originally take in) are now set up free to be written over (by new data).
So once formatted, the first thing you should do right now is STOP using your WD external to store any more Mac data. If you have used the same disk since, the new saved data will start to overwrite the old making them unrecoverable or at least significantly decrease the chances of successful data recovery. If you haven’t shot anything on this My Book for Mac since you reformatted – you are looking good.
The next step, to recover data from the formatted HDD, you’ll need to rely on a third-party Western Digital data recovery program. It’s a simple to use and will retrieve lost, deleted or formatted items on most storage devices such as Macintosh HD, WD external hard disk drives. Here is a step by step guide:
- Use the USB cable to connect your WD MyBook to your Mac computer.
- Free download Data Recovery for Mac and install it on your Mac.
- Launch the program. Choose the recovery mode “Lost File Recovery” and select the disk to continue (see the image below). If you see the drive, it means that all is OK and the software can now access and recover your formatted files.
- Start scanning your formatted WD disk and locate the recoverable data. The process may take a few while as your WD storage (1TB) is a little large.
- Preview & recover those found files. Done!
Hope you good luck!